Due to a power outage related to Tuesday’s tornado in Arabi, my book release and live recording at the Zeitgeist Theatre and Lounge has been tentatively rescheduled to Saturday, April 2nd at 8 PM. We are looking forward to hosting the show soon and encourage folks to donate to Imagine Water Works for mutual aid if you can. For show updates, we recommend RSVPing here if you haven’t already.
Some good news is that the books are here and they are handsome. If you are out of town would like order a copy, you can do so here ($15 + $6 S&H) or the “merch” page. If you are in town and don’t want to wait till the next book release, get at me. Pre-orders went out today and I’ll be sending out another round next Saturday.
Many thanks to my editor and layout genius Geoff Munstermann and the good folks at Paper Machine for putting together this beauty:
Hello Friends! I’ll be reading some poems on Instagram Live tonight. The poems are first drafts from my recent foray into writing 50 poems in 50 days this summer. Come join me if you’d like @justinalamb.
Every April, many poets commit to writing 30 poems in 30 days as a special National Poetry Month challenge. Although I love this generative exercise, April has proved to be a tricky month for me due to academic deadlines as a student and educator. A few years ago, some friends and I started doing a summer challenge as a substitute. I love these challenges for the camaraderie they build and the freedom to write crappy poems. It’s impossible not to write crappy poems because any energy you’d like to use towards fine-tuning must instead go towards churning out the next day’s poem.
As a result, I rarely come out of the experience with fully formed work, but I write what would otherwise not exist and quite often create the fertile soil that sprouts new poems in July and onward. In fact, a lot of the poems featured in my past two manuscripts began during one of these 30/30 challenges. We’re gearing up for another one at the start of June. If you’re interested in joining us, you can sign up via this link. I hope everyone’s hanging in there and staying safe. Write on.
Happy National Poetry Month, friends. I’m excited to announce that Everything Has A PlaceLIVE! will be hitting the internets on Tuesday, April 26. Thanks to all who came out to the recording! I can’t wait to share this with everyone!
Hello Friends! After nearly selling out of books at the book release show, I am elated to announce a new shipment of Everything Has a Place has arrived, and I can now begin shipping books out of town. If you’d like to purchase one ($10 + $5 Shipping & Handling), you can visit my merch page.
Alternatively, if you’ve already received a copy and want to tell people about it, you can visit the book’s Goodreads page here.
Because publishing a book is a good excuse to make a mixtape, here’s “Every Song Has a Place,” a playlist inspired by my book, Everything Has a Place, which will find itself in people’s hands tonight. I’ll have a few extra copies on hand at the release show.
1. Onra and Quetzal – In My Place
2. Monsters of Folk – The Right Place
3. David Ruffin – Rode By the Place (Where We Used to Stay)
4. Diana Ross & the Supremes – Baby Love
5. Beyonce – Love on Top
6. Al Green – Tired of Being Alone
7. Adele – Send My Love (To Your New Lover)
8. Beauty and the Beast – Gaston Song
9. Drake – Marvin’s Room
10. Holly Maxwell – Only When You’re Lonely
11. Otis Redding – Pain in My Heart (Live at the Whisky a Go Go)
12. Earth, Wind & Fire – September
13. Coco O – Where the Wind Blows
14. scoop x on planets – Too
15. Akon – Locked Up (or Exile – Fly feat. Blu, depending on your copy)
16. The Sylvers – High School Dance
17. Clarence “Frogman” Henry – Ain’t Got No Home
18. Donny Hathaway – Magnificent Sanctuary Band
19. Freddie Scott – (You) Got What I Need
20. Lester Bowie Brass Fantasy – Two Become One
21. Etta James – I Got You Bab (JR Dynamite’s Back to Funk Edit)
22. Objectiv One – This Is How We Do It (South Central Jazz Festival Mash Up) (Montell Jordan Vs. Hubert Laws)
23. Kirk Franklin – I Smile (New Orleans Bounce Mix)