Because publishing a book is a good excuse to make a mixtape, here’s “Every Song Has a Place,” a playlist inspired by my book, Everything Has a Place, which will find itself in people’s hands tonight. I’ll have a few extra copies on hand at the release show.
1. Onra and Quetzal – In My Place
2. Monsters of Folk – The Right Place
3. David Ruffin – Rode By the Place (Where We Used to Stay)
4. Diana Ross & the Supremes – Baby Love
5. Beyonce – Love on Top
6. Al Green – Tired of Being Alone
7. Adele – Send My Love (To Your New Lover)
8. Beauty and the Beast – Gaston Song
9. Drake – Marvin’s Room
10. Holly Maxwell – Only When You’re Lonely
11. Otis Redding – Pain in My Heart (Live at the Whisky a Go Go)
12. Earth, Wind & Fire – September
13. Coco O – Where the Wind Blows
14. scoop x on planets – Too
15. Akon – Locked Up (or Exile – Fly feat. Blu, depending on your copy)
16. The Sylvers – High School Dance
17. Clarence “Frogman” Henry – Ain’t Got No Home
18. Donny Hathaway – Magnificent Sanctuary Band
19. Freddie Scott – (You) Got What I Need
20. Lester Bowie Brass Fantasy – Two Become One
21. Etta James – I Got You Bab (JR Dynamite’s Back to Funk Edit)
22. Objectiv One – This Is How We Do It (South Central Jazz Festival Mash Up) (Montell Jordan Vs. Hubert Laws)
23. Kirk Franklin – I Smile (New Orleans Bounce Mix)
Hello Friends! It’s been over a year since my last post, so right (write?) about now seems like a good time for an update: I’m planning a new show for January 16th! I can’t divulge too many details yet, but I can tell you it’s happening in New Orleans and it will be recorded. I’ve spent the last year writing and testing new poems at various readings, and I’m excited to share this collection of my newest, most personal work in January. More details to come.
It’s been over 13 months since my last post, and I’m amazed this site isn’t completely overtaken by crabgrass. A few updates on things that have happened since October 2013: Team SNO made it back to the National Poetry Slam finals in Oakland, where we placed third overall. I also had the privilege of experiencing my first Individual World Poetry Slam this October in Phoenix, and it was incredible. I’ve added videos from both events (filmed by Button Poetry) on this site’s Videos page. See you in 13 months! (Just kidding)
Desiree Dallagiacomo and I perform “The Friend Zone” at the National Poetry Slam Finals stage. Photo by Spit Journal.
Kaycee Filson, A Scribe Called Quess? and I perform “FML” at the National Poetry Slam Semi-Finals. Photo by Spit Journal.
My CDs arrived from the factory on Tuesday. After more than a year of planning, they are real, and I can hold them in my veiny, chicken-like hands. Every track was recorded live in a Southern Louisiana venue, and I can’t wait to share the entire project with you. It would not have been completed without an outpouring of support from the people I love. Endless thank yous to you all. However it turns out is perfect.
If you’d like to order a copy, you can do so here.
4. You Heart NY
7. 2060 feat. Profess
8. History of Slam
9. The Sweaty Teacher
10. The Process
11. Tips for Climbing Barbed Wire
I shouldn’t have left you without a recent blog post to step to…but here’s why!
I’ve started a tumblr! You can find me at justinpoet.tumblr.com I like tumblr because it allows me to keep tabs on some of my favorite poets and performers. It’s also quickly become my homebase for getting nascent ideas out into the world. So far, I’ve used my tumblr to post haiku, rough drafts and short poems. Justinpoet.com will still be here to display polished material, but if you’re looking for more frequent posts, now you know where to go.
Oh, and make sure you check out my friends’ tumblrs:
My friend Robert Warren popped into the Pop Up Volume 2 and brought his camera. Check out these great shots he snapped, and be sure to head to his photo blog (aphorist.tumblr.com) for beautiful photos taken all around New Orleans.
Last but not least, here’s a photo of A Scribe Called Quess’s great performance courtesy of my phone. Thank you all for a wonderful night.